Keratosis Pilaris Regimen Kit by DERMAdoctor - KP Duty - Say Goodbye to Chicken Skin

Monday, March 31, 2008

Aging and KP, and more questions

Hey all, I've been suffering from KP since I was about 3 or 4 years old, and right now I am 16 years old. I became aware of keratosis pilaris 2 years ago but never looked deeply into it, because I always read articles saying it was uncurable and what not. Also, I hadn't had much support in treating it with minor creams so I pretty much put it off. The hot spots are located mainly in these areas; my forearms(Lots of small red dots, and underneath the forearm there are usually robust flesh bumps that I can pop and release a small white sprout, which I believe is keratin, but no red dots under the forearm just those large bumps.), my upper backside of my arms which are just covered in the red dots and every now and then a more robust dot that I can squeeze keratin out of, a little bit on my chest, the upper part of my thighs(Large flat red dots with a lot of space between them compared to my arms.), and sometimes right above my ankle I'll have a patch of KP showing, I never noticed it until I shaved my legs one day. I checked back after the hair grew and noticed they would be there at random times. I also have always had really rosey read checks with bumps that would come up sometimes, and I'm pretty sure that this isn't rosacea since it doesn't cover up my entire cheeks, mainly just the back part up to my ears, and some times my face will feel really hot in those areas, but other times my face will be entirely clear of any redness which mainly happens when I wake up.

Now to my question, I've read that KP sometimes goes away with age, and have heard the tale from a lot that it hasn't left them yet, but am wondering. Is there any way to tell if you will lose KP before the mid 20s to 30 or before? Like does intensity and location help determine the lasting effects of this disorder?

Also, what determines the intensity of KP showing? I haven't done any treatment for my keratosis pilaris up until now and a few times between the last year, and during the times I did nothing and from earlier years I recall my KP showing differently at times. Some times my arms will be glowing red practically with bumps, other times they will look clear and only 3 or 4 bumps are up and are far apart. I've noticed that when I excersise my keratosis pilaris flares up, well most of the times, some times I'll be normal. However, anytime I excersise my face glows red, but then again I'm a pretty pale guy.

I'm also wondering on the recommendation of using tanning beds. I know they have adverse skin side effects, but I also know that these side effects aren't things that happen as often as people claim they do. From what I've seen though, for some people KP vanishes with a fluxation in skin pigment color, and I've never seen/met anyone who was tan who had KP. A girl who I take classes with was talking to me a while ago about some bumps she was uncomfortable with on the back of her arm, and how they have subsided during times that she tans, and that she had done some heavy tanning for a few weeks once and after that most of the bumps cleared up, and she showed me the back of her arm and you could see that she had a serious case of KP at one time but it had cleared leaving on a few dots which had darkened a bit. I clearly remember her arms having KP from the year before, also.

Thanks for reading this and if you wish to contact me more personally on these matters my e-mail is (removed), however I think it would be more beneficial if you answered me publically on the forum for others with the same thoughts to see.

Topic posted on the KP forum - beautyfashionandstyle.yuku.com/forums/6

No comments:

Keratosis Pilaris Regimen Kit by DERMAdoctor - KP Duty - Say Goodbye to Chicken Skin